Re: [OM] Hood for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Hood for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 05:38:08 +1100
Olympus seems to have decided that we don't need one. It isn't listed in
specifications or accessories for the lens on their product listing on their
web sites. Very odd. Further, this lens is not alone. I have the m.Zuiko 9-18mm
which does have the hood listed (LH-55B) but it's very difficult to find - I
bought mine online out of California. And it is expensive. The Panasonic 20mm
doesn't have one either. What is going on?
I can only speculate that these lenses have such a weak construction that a
hood may compromise their reliability. Certainly the 14-42mm has a wobbly front
section.
I use the 40.5mm collapsible rubber hood off an old Minolta 110 camera - best
hood of its type I've seen.
This is also why I was very happy to find and pay rather a lot for the little
dome hood for my Panny 20mm (Japan Exposures).
I mean, a hood is essential, right?
Olympus used to be the only manufacturer (I think) who always supplied one free
- which is why I suspect that there is a design issue here.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx