Re: [OM] MF fuji vs. Mamiya

Subject: Re: [OM] MF fuji vs. Mamiya
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:42:41 -0500
>As an aside, I do not yet have a Mamiya 7, but fully intend to get one in
>the next couple months.  However, I'm also looking at the Fuji fixed lens
>medium format rangefinders as a cheaper alternative, especially since I
>don't really plan on buying into a system.  Anyone have any thoughts on the
>Fuji rangefinders as compared to the Mamiya 6/7 system?

I have both the entire Mamiya 7 system, and a Fuji GW670III and GSW690III.
(Actually I sold the GW, but used it for a year or more). They are both great
cameras, but ultimately I think the Mamiya 7 is better, for many reasons.
Certainly the lenses in both systems are great, but the Mamiyas are just
slightly better, more contrasty, and with better resolution. The GSW690III is
stupendous stopped down to f/8 or f/11, but the many advantages of the Mamiya
outweigh the slightly larger size neg from the Fuji.

Here's a quick rundown:

M7:
Better glass
Smaller
Better ergonomics
More lens choices
More expensive
Better rangefiner patch/ contrast

Fuji GW/GSW:
Nice glass, particularly GSW
Rugged
Relatively inexpensive
Not so great ergonomics (not bad but not as good as mamiya)
Larger neg size (56 x 82mm vs. 56 x70mm)

I think if using the Fuji rangefinders, it's nice to have both the GW and GSW
at the same time. They work well as a pair. Either by itself is a lot more
limiting.  Having both offsets the cost and space advantage though. The Mamiya
7 and 4-5 lenses can fit in the same space as 2 of the Fujis.

Bottom line, if you can swing the cost, the Mamiya 7 is the one to beat. It
holds it's own against 4x5 also, while also being a hell of a lot more portable
and faster to shoot.

-Ed