[OM] Travel kit--suggestions, advice

Subject: [OM] Travel kit--suggestions, advice
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:03:59 -0600
This August, my wife and I are taking a two week trip to Ireland.  Like Ken
Norton, I too struggle with keeping my kit minimal while travelling.

Here is what I would like to carry:
OM-4T and OM-1n (as backup/b+w camera) with a lens for each
Mamiya 7 w/ 80/4
and an E-P2 for my wife and for digital snapshots.

My dilemma is with which lenses to take.  I have the 21/2, 28/2, 50/1.2,
50/1.4, 50/3.5, 100/2, 135/3.5.  I want to go as small as possible, but
without sacrificing quality.  I also worry about losing expensive lenses.  I
seriously considered buying a 24/2.8 *just* for this trip, but that's just
plain GAS.

So here is what I'm thinking...I can bring the 21/2 and 50/1.2 and forget
about a tele lens.  That means though that I would at least like to have a
tele zoom for the E-P2...the m4/3rds 40-150mm looks mighty nice.  That also
means that if I lose my bag....yikes.

The 28/2 and 135/3.5 make a good couple.  A great couple, in fact.  I've
travelled with that combo before and thought that it was just about
perfect.  The only problem is, I don't really like the 135/3.5 for landscape
shots.

So then I thought, 28/2 and 100/2.  But that 100/2 takes up some space....

As for the E-P2, I have the Panny 20/1.7 and 14-42 kit lens, and I'm not
planning on getting any more m4/3rds lenses unless Olympus surprises me with
a 12mm f2 wide angle.  The 40-150mm is also attractive, but I'm not much of
a telephoto guy.  The Pen with 20/1.7 can easily fit in my wife's purse, so
it's not even a space consideration, but more than one or two more m4/3rds
lenses and it might be.

Here's another thought: is the Mamiya even necessary?

Can anyone who has been to Ireland in the summer comment on the conditions,
and what sort of focal lengths I'll want to use, as well as the photo
opportunities?  I appreciate any input you guys can give me.  What I'm
trying to avoid is coming back regretting having brought so much gear (which
was the case with the previous two long trips I went on).