Re: [OM] Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varimagni))

Subject: Re: [OM] Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varimagni))
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 03:46:09 -0500
Since we're talking Leicas, lol, I have not tried the Heliar but the bokeh
always seemed harsh on the examples I have seen online. Your first shot
isn't bad though, and the second does look incredibly sharp. My current
favorite 50 is the ZM 50/1.5 C-Sonnar. It has a nice rendering for portraits
and is very sharp at the apertures I shoot it at. Mine's optimized for focus
accuracy at f2.8 and below, so I have never used it at f2 or 1.5 except a
couple tests to confirm the existence of the focus shift that Sonnars have.
I rarely need a 50 open larger than f4 anyway, and I like the Sonnar's
rendering. Would kind of like to try the Heliar though!

Here's some Sonnar shots:

http://tinyurl.com/macksonnar

Portraits of my son, shot at f4.

--