Re: [OM] (OM) Totally OT; creatures in Central Australia

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Totally OT; creatures in Central Australia
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:01:46 -0500
Burmese pythons do get large enough to be a threat to humans, especially
small children.  According to Wiki, they average 3.7 meters (12 ft)
long, but may get as large as 5.8 meters (19 ft) and 200 pounds.
Unfortunately, they have a habit of leaving the Everglades and showing
up in suburban yards.  They're more likely to grab some tasty dog or cat
but that does not endear them to the animal's owners.  The largest
problem though is that they out-compete many of the native Everglades
residents and tend to eat the native's food sources as well as some of
the native competitors.  It has taken quite a while but there are now
limited hunts allowed which seem primarily designed to determine the
extent of the problem.  If you are a biologist or herpetologist you'll
likely be issued a limited license.  Ordinary Florida Crackers will have
a tougher time getting a hunting license... for now anyhow.  I think the
rules are likely to be considerably loosened in the future.

Chuck Norcutt