Re: [OM] Hoarding & Varimagni

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoarding & Varimagni
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:24:29 -0800
On 1/15/2011 12:44 PM, George Themelis wrote:
> <snip embarassing admission>
> Out of curiosity I took a quick inventory of the Olympus OM stuff I
> accumulated in about 6 months in 2009.  I counted 32 camera bodies, 58 lenses
> and various accessories.

Wow!, now you are serving a good purpose - making me feel better about my own
acquisitions. :-)

I seems that I have about 36 functional OM lenses and about 22 Third party to
fit OM, although those numbers have been
higher at times.
I'm pretty sure I have less than 32 'real' bodies, as opposed to those bought
as part of a set to get something else
with no expectation they would work - or the bag of dead OM10s I picked up as
prism donors. But it took me years to
accumulate those, not a few months.

Of the OMs, only about 9 are lenses I wouldn't mind letting go, mostly 50/1.8s
and 75-150s, none of which are in short
supply or worth much , if anything. I may hardly use them now, but I'm holding
on to my basic set of 18-300 mm primes
and a couple of zooms.

> Among these accessories are 9 Varimagnis. What was I thinking?

LOL!

> Well, I know what I was thinking. I love the appearance, simplicity and
> functionality of the OM system, and I was
> thinking that one day I will use all that stuff I was buying.
>
> . . .
>
> In the meanwhile, I am wondering what I can do with the 9 Varimagnis.  This
> is a beautifully engineered piece.  Is there a use for it, other than use it
> to look through an Olympus OM camera?

They are indeed lovely artifacts. I'm thinking I only have one, although I seem
to remember two hereabouts at one time.

One of the two Pentax models will fit Olys, so I imagine the reverse would be
true, but I suppose there's no market
there, either, especially as I seem to recall that the Pentax models don't
reverse the image.

The Varimagnis do come close to fitting The Canon three digit series and the
5D, likely others, but not the 1D series.
They just don't slide quite far enough down to line up with the optical center.
One can see the whole frame through
them, but their mounting is a bit precarious. I think some creative work with a
Dremel would improve the fit a great
deal. A replacement of the metal piece that slips onto the camera could make
for an excellent fit.

Dismantle two to make a periscope?

Moose