Re: [OM] Tahquamenon Falls - Frozen Motion

Subject: Re: [OM] Tahquamenon Falls - Frozen Motion
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 20:01:23 -0800
On 12/31/2010 10:12 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose, I reprocessed the image to be a little closer to the vision I had for
> it. Honestly, it was getting quite dark and there is some serious exposure
> boosting going on. One of the cool things in this picture is the house that
> looks like it's on fire as the windows are reflecting a street light.

I like it now. My versions weren't meant to be finished products - so hard on
small images anyway - but to give a
different perspective. Seems to have worked well here. :-)

> The falls picture did need a little lifting, but my one observation is the
> processed shot takes on a bit of the HDR
> look.

One of these days, I'm going to try again to find a way to put a slider on
simple roll-overs, so one may choose how far
one likes. I agree mine may be a little over the top. Again, the point wasn't a
finished image, but the expression of a
different take.

> Regardless, these were first passes that were done rather quickly. The
> Mackinac Bridge shot, though, is probably pretty close to print ready except
> for spot editing.

I understood that. After all, you are traveling with family through wintry
country. Thoughtful editing must be at least
close to impossible.

> Today's pictures will definitely not satisfy your California look. It was
> freezing rain today and rather not ideal photographic conditions.

We've had quite a rainy early winter so far, but it's been kind to us, often
raining hardest at night and seeming to let
up when we need to be out. Not freezing here, although we wimps think a couple
of days in the mid-40s is pretty darn
cold. ;-)   I haven't taken an outdoor pic in some time.

> We'll see what comes of it. I did take to heart your comment about artistic
> value and tried to see things a little differently instead of just record
> keeping. I refuse to desaturate the digital image just to game the system.
> B&W isn't the cure for a boring shot.

I didn't mean to say that my opinions should be those of others. I know folks
like you and Chris and many others get
enjoyment out of documenting human artifacts from the past, and others enjoy
seeing them. I was just saying that for
another group of people, including me, the fact that something is old and in
some state of deterioration doesn't
automatically make it interesting.

To engage my attention, it should be photo/artistically interesting, as well.
Nothing earth shattering about this, for
example, but I like the play of light and shadow, the juxtaposition of fading
red paint and fall colors and the line of
the roof.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Southern_Maine/One_Day/2_Road_and_Shrooms&image=_MG_2352iamix.jpg>

Here, the subject has interesting color, texture and shapes, nicely juxtaposed
against those of the natural world that
is slowly absorbing it and it is placed carefully in the frame, filling 2/3,
with space ahead of it, as though it could
still move forward.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Southern_Maine/One_Day/4_On_the_Road&image=_MG_2417iamix.jpg>

The next one in that gallery is weak, though. I was interested in the texture
and in what's happening in the windows,
but the overall presentation is blah. Maybe I'll crop to just the rectangular
front.

There are so many different tastes in photographs, as in pretty much
everything. Many of the sort of images that Mike
Johnston of TOP loves just bore me; I don't see why anybody would even bother
to take them, let alone fill a book with
them. I was at a book store for their annual calendar sale today and saw a book
by a famous photographer. I flipped
through some of it and just put it down because the images didn't engage me.
Different strokes . . .

I love the calendar sale. At three for $10, I can buy 2-3 to use and others
strictly for the images. Still sorry I
didn't buy a Jim Brandenburg one of images from Chasing the Light. The images
in the book are often small, and the
calendar images were better. (Or did I? Must look in the basement.)

> Definitely need new tires for the jeep. Almost got stuck a couple of times. I
> used every camera and lens today.

I took a pic of a blurb I found interesting on the back of a book. :-)

Moose