Re: [OM] Vivitar 90-180mm Aperture

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 90-180mm Aperture
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:35:12 -0800
On 12/24/2010 9:14 AM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> JD writes:
>> . . . It is one heavy lens.
> . . . Not the lens is that heavy compared to a Canyon 180 macro and I am not
> aware of any newer dedicated macro zooms.
> It was pricey when new and I think referred to as a "medical lens."  I think
> dentists and pathologists liked it.  I have read that it was a financial
> bust.  Quite nice big butterfly lens for OM IMO.

Here's part of what the Cult Classic site had to say about it:
"*The 90mm to 180mm f4.5 flat-field VMC lens from 1978 is an optic that has
also achieved /cult status/. *

*This Vivitar 90-180mm f/4.5 lens was really designed for medical photography
needs. A ring-light flash unit was
designed to mount on the front of this lens too. But as far as I know, it was
never released. This original medical
market niche explains some of the design features and range of this high
quality zoom lens. *
*
This lens is over 6 inches long, and pretty heavy at 2.3 pounds. At a constant
f/4.5, you aren't going to value it for
its speed either. But it produces excellent results in macro-work down to 1:4
at 90mm and to 1:2 at its 180mm setting."*

As you know, I recently was able to fondle one of these. It seems to me to be
too big and especially too heavy for
casual use by someone like me. I don't see myself using it without a tripod. I
think if I were interested in an MF macro
lens in that focal length range, I'd do what I've done before, carry the Tamron
90/2.5 , matched 2x tele-converter or,
less likely, matched extension tube:
                              Tamron 90/2.5   Tube      2.0x   Vivitar
90-180/4.5
Focal Length                        90        90       180        90-180
Filter Size                        49mm      49mm      49mm         ?
f/Stop Range                      2.5-32 2.5-32    5-64       4.5-?
Magnification                      1:2 1:1       1:1        1:4-1:2
Angle of View                      27       13.5       13.5       27-13.5
Groups/Elements                    6/8       6/8       9/13          ?
Length                    mm      70.5       121       92.5        152.4
                           in       2.8       4.8        3.6          6
Maximum Diameter          mm      64.5      64.5       64.5         ?
                           in       2.5       2.5        2.5
Weight                    g        420       646        589         1043
                           lb       0.9       1.4        1.3          2.3

 From lots of experience, I know that this is an excellent flat field macro
lens. A bit better at 1:2 than 1:1, but the
Viv only goes to 1:2. It's easily hand held as a 180/5 in the field. IF using
the Viv, I suspect I'd have it at 180 mm
most of the time, anyway.

Macro Moose