Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:46:07 -0600
Chuck is absolutely correct. However, there are cultural factors which
are mistakenly identified as economic issues that affect the schools.
I grew up in a very nice town with what should have been a top
school--which it almost was. But it was also an extremely violent
school at times.

We had our girls in a private school here in Iowa for their K-4 years,
then transitioned through homeschooling before moving to a town with a
top school. The difference in schools between Newton and Grinnell are
massive even though the economic issues of the community are
essentially identical. About the only difference is that in Grinnell,
the school is integral to the community and the arts are not only
promoted to the students, but actually required. This forces parentel
involvement with the student with concerts, etc.

Maybe it helps having a high-end private college in town, as the profs
have their children in the public schools too. My girls have
classmates whose parents are profs. You cannot say, though, that it's
economic. Our girls' best friends are almost all from the "wrong side
of the tracks."

AG

--
Ken Norton