Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:47:14 -0600
> There may or may not be dignity. The reward for the great majority of
> humanity is however truly in the long run, very long run, pie in the sky
> when you die by and by. Surely not economic. This is the great myth of
> the American Dream.

Yes, as part of my midlife crisis, I did an analysis of what brought
us to the present condition. Little did we realize the
work-house-car-stuff cycle is just the modern-day equivalent of owing
your soul to the company store. The question is how to get off the
spinning merry-go-round? You need a better job to pay for the bigger
house which you got because you had a better job. The expensive cars
are so you can commute to your job which pays for the cars.

If a person was to become monkly and limit themself to Maslow's
Hierarchy of Needs levels one and two, they can do quite well with
very little cost. But three and four can bankrupt you. Five? Well,
that's where the OMs come in.

AG