Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:03:24 -0800
On 12/22/2010 8:49 AM, WayneS wrote:
> .  .  .
>> Depends on what and how much you want it to do. I've been using
>> Singapore<http://www.sgal.org/>  for all casual and some not so casual image
>> galleries.<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/>
>>

>> For me, it is small, relatively simple and does all the basics really well.
>> I don't think it's been updated since 2006, but there have been some recent
>> developments that may indicate possible future development. The good parts
>> are that it's open source freeware and hasn't been changed since it became
>> very stable.
> Stable is good, I will check it out.
>
> I looked at JAlbum at one time. I would prefer to run something on my local
> linux box. And if I get that working properly, I can upload the software to
> my host site, which has PHP, MySQL, etc. - www.icdsoft.com - hence one of the
> reasons for testing Gallery3.

Not to promote JAlbum, as I don't care, but in the interest of pedantic
accuracy . . .

I'm running both Singapore and JAlbum on icdsoft. That's linux, apache, mySQL,
PHP, etc. So why wouldn't they run on a
local linux box?

Honestly, I don't see the need to test locally. If, for example, testing some
PHP code I've revised, I just squirt the
next version over to icdsoft with drag and drop from Explorer to FileZilla free
FTP and reload the Firefox page to see
the result. CTRL-S in editor, drag, click circular arrow in browser - very fast.

Certainly neither Singapore nor JAlbum require testing before installing on the
ISP. Follow the simple Singapore
instructions and it just works. JAlbum does it's own install of galleries using
internal FTP. I would imagine this to be
true of most other gallery software.

Moose