Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:21:44 -0800
On 12/21/2010 9:33 PM, WayneS wrote:
> . . . Speaking of which, I set up Gallery 3 on my home machine here:
>
> http://zuik.dyndns.org/gallery3/
>
> But I'm not all that happy with it. Sometimes it goes out to lunch and does
> strange things. There are more photos there, but mostly family stuff that
> requires login. Supposedly you can click on the photo to see a higher
> resolution version, but it does not seem to work reliably.

The enlarge thing seems to work for me. but it shows the image without any sort
of border, just superimposed on the
page, which is not all that appealing. On my FireFox, the info on the right in
superimposed on squarish or horizontal
images, definitely wrong and distracting.

I did enjoy the images.

> Does any one have suggestions for setting up a web server for photos?

Depends on what and how much you want it to do. I've been using Singapore
<http://www.sgal.org/> for all casual and some
not so casual image galleries. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/>

For me, it is small, relatively simple and does all the basics really well. I
don't think it's been updated since 2006,
but there have been some recent developments that may indicate possible future
development. The good parts are that it's
open source freeware and hasn't been changed since it became very stable.

As open source, one can modify it at will for one's own purposes. I know
virtually nothing about PHP, but with a start
from Dan, I've added additional EXIF display info and Lat/Long to the image
pages. For casual galleries, you can just
toss images in a gallery and they appear in it. Where you want more control,
you have a fair amount in the admin interface.

You can do more by modifying the CSV files it uses for display settings. I
haven't yet tried it, but clearly more can be
done about image display pages with what appear to be relatively simple changes
to the PHP that does the display and
interfaces with the CSV files.

It's also possible to write one's own templates. I haven't looked into that, as
I'm pretty happy overall with the one I
use. I would like a slide show option. Maybe I should look to see if there's a
template with that.

The other one I've used successfully is JAlbum. It has lots and lots of
available templates and controls for many
aspects of galleries. It's also free and far more highly developed as an app in
which one creates everything locally,
then puts it up on the web, also nicely automated.

It's really over complex for most of what I want to do most of the time.

I've looked at a couple of others and installed one of them, but didn't like
it. Sorry, I seem to have even deleted the
name from memory.

Moose