Re: [OM] OM Monarch

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Monarch
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:20:54 -0500
The canvas expansion doesn't touch the original image.  It just pastes
empty white area onto from one to four sides of the image depending on
the direction arrow selected.  The canvas resizing tool offers several
units to work in (inches, pixels, percent, etc).  I'd guess that adding
10-15% onto the right edge will give you more than enough to work with.
Try just expanding the canvas by 15% and on the right side only.  Don't
worry about the size other than it being big enough.  Fill the whole
area that you've added since you will come around later and crop it to
some dimension.

Selecting a narrow band along the right edge will necessarily include
the tip of the subject petal. Then, giving that band the
edit->transform->distort treatment and pulling it straight to the right
will stretch all the pixels in the band to extend across the new canvas.
  But, since that band contains the tip of the petal the tip will also
be stretched out and seriously distorted.  That's why you do that on a
layer above the original.  By putting a mask on the top layer and
painting over the tip area of the original petal underneath you will
reveal the original petal underneath.  You still have to deal with the
distorted remains of the petal now residing in the new canvas area but
that's a pretty straightforward cloning job.

You can try a straight pull to the right as a trial to see how this
works but, ultimately, you'll have to do it in short sections and you'll
have to pull not only right but also up or down to follow the diagonal
lines of the black shadow areas that will now extend into the new
canvas.  If you do the work in the "right" sized vertical units you
might be able to avoid first destroying and then repairing the tip of
the petal.  A bit of busy work but not hard.

Incidentally, this technique of stretching a small part of the image
into new canvas or otherwise blank areas is good for fixing the sky on
stitched panoramic images.  Frequently, you'll get black areas in the
areas not covered by the original images.  If these areas are nothing
but clear sky or sky with some clouds you can stretch the parts of the
image that do exist to cover those black holes.  That may save getting
rid of the black holes via overzealous cropping.

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt