Re: [OM] Battery types [was - iPods from Apple]

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery types [was - iPods from Apple]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:04:06 -0800
> From: Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>        The Newer LiFePO4 are truly outstanding, particularly the
> "nano-technology" ones (A123)...

Do these have any particular charging requirements, or can you stick them on a
stock Liion charger?=

> To see how powerful and relatively abuse proof the A123 cells are, go and
> read the RC helicopter websites where they abuse these cells getting >250W
> from each large c-cell and then recharging them in ~20minutes.

Sounds like a special charger, or at least a heat-sensing/regulating charger.

> Lots of people buy LiFePO4 cell drill/saw packs for modifying, for all sorts
> of high power applications off of ebay. This is often the cheapest way to get
> them if you want to convert your old high power battery tools.

Sounds like fun. I'll have to get some to play with. My trusty old 12V Makita
drill has three packs that need rebuilding.