Re: [OM] Deconvolution - No Free Lunch. Is there a $$$ lunch? [was IMG:

Subject: Re: [OM] Deconvolution - No Free Lunch. Is there a $$$ lunch? [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 48: wine, social life and light]
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:01:00 -0600
>From this crappy monitor, I'll take C or E. Which is which?

From: Moose [mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:39 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion
Subject: [OM] Deconvolution - No Free Lunch. Is there a $$$ lunch? [was IMG:
Nathan's PAW 48: wine, social life and light]

On 12/7/2010 4:45 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> . . .
>
> No clue that the Moose uses deconvolution as a tool. I believe Focus Magic
uses a peanut butter spread on cracker approach with blind deconvolution
assuming a gaussian PSF . . . I believe DXO does the deconvolution on the
separate RGB channels and is context aware. Noise seems to cause great
indigestion for deconvolution and I believe Focus Magic reduces it no matter
what. I am not sure, but despite a stable full of optics Ph.D's DXO could no
way quickly crank out lens module after lens module with lens specific PSF,
though aberration corrections clearly are carefully done---even to the point
of focus distance specific aberration correction when possible.

OK Mike, you asked for it. :-)

We could natter on for a long time, speculating about deconvolution (now
that I've looked it up). How about proof in the
pudding - or leaf litter.

Full frame. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/_MG_2371.htm>

Please limit comments on artistic choices. I did these to test DXO's RAW
conversion and standard processing defaults.
They aren't finished display images, as that might mask the things I'm
testing. I had to change one parameter to avoid a
blown red channel. The ACR/PS versions use a number of tools.

One 100% sample.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/_MG_2371fp1.htm>

Another 100% sample.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/_MG_2371fp2.htm>

So whaddya think? Which tools(s) would you pick?

Questionable Moose