Re: [OM] New Image (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Image (OT)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:21:58 -0800
> From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>  Teamwork sucks anyway.
>> I suspect that it's a plot to suffocate creative thinkers.  :-)
>> Andrew Fildes
>
> What great advances in human history were made by teams rather than
> individuals ?

Let's see... shall we start with hunter-gatherers? Or the invention of animal
herding and agriculture? How about the city-state? Stonehenge? Pyramids? The
Inca Empire? Great Wall of China? Industrial revolution? Putting a man on the
moon? Modern government? (Okay, I'll spot you that last one... :-)

Yea, I like to work alone, too. But I think it's safe to flip that question
around: what great advances in human history were NOT made by teams of people
working together for a common goal?

While I'm sure it would be simple to come up with a list of people like
Napoleon, Thomas Edison, Madame Curie, Mother Theresa, and Bill Gates that
would seem to the contrary, consider that they directly or indirectly achieved
their advances by standing on the shoulders of others -- either those who came
before them, or serfs or volunteers under their control.

No man is an island; he's a peninsula. -- Jefferson Airplane