Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:15:05 +0100
I recently bought a 2003 Toyota Avensis Verso Diesel (D4D Engine). I was
looking for Automatic transmission like my previous '95 Toyota Picnic on
Gasoline had. Was told Toyota did not have the combination of Diesel and AT
available. (at least for NL/Europe). In the Netherlands on the 2nd hand market
te price difference is quite small between Diesel AND Gas fueled cars. Because
I drive 25000km a year on average the Diesel is very interesting with it's 15.7
km/l so far against 10.0 km/l for the smaller Picnic's we had before.
Especially since Diesel costs about €1,15 per liter against €1,48 for the
gasoline.

Thing is, in the Netherlands you also pay "ownership taxes" (free translation
from "houderschapsbelasting") In our case it means €125,-/month for the Diesel
against +/- € 62,-/month for Gasoline car of the same weight. Since I already
drove 11000km with the car since I got it late July, I'm still good with the
diesel.

Wiliam