Re: [OM] iPhone et al

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone et al
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 02:04:41 -0700
On 10/31/2010 12:46 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Hmmm.  Sounds like some internet lore. As a programmer, I'd be very much
> surprised if doing it either way didn't execute exactly the same code.  :-)

I've programmed windows apps. Yes, real ones, one of which is even now in daily
use on the computers of top management
of a Fortune 500 corp. Unfortunately, it's bomb proof; I never get work fixing
it. Just once in a while adding or changing.

File=>Exit, Alt-F4 and clicking the red box/white X all generate the same event
from Win for the program to react to.

As a Windoze programmer, you have control over when and how the app and its
windows open and close. In my case, I
limited the app to one instance running at once. At first, people would end up
with more than one running. No real
problem, as they open the data files in shared mode. But when updates are sent,
about once a week, the update program
requires exclusive access.

So if the user tries to start a second copy, a pop-up window says "I'm already
running. Look for me behind other
windows!" Something similar happens when the update app is started with the
main one running.

Progra-man Moose