Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/10/2010: cute Danish couple

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/10/2010: cute Danish couple
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:15:54 -0400
The real problem is that there's not a lot you can do with them after you take
them unless you get a release from parent or guardian. There's some case law
that suggests the photographer can display and even sell exhibition prints
without any form of release, but if he or she strays into the commercial arena
as defined by, say, selling the aforementioned picture to Cheerios, then the
trouble will start.

All that said, permission is always advisable, when possible. Conciliatory
conversation after the shot is taken and the photog accosted is recommended. If
all else fails, and the accoster is a real a**, then an aggressive "get out of
my face or I'll have you charged with any number of minor violations including
getting in my way" can be deployed. It's actually not okay to stop someone from
walking away. In some cases in this country, it can be considered a federal
offense.

Natch, if it's a police officer you're dealing with, conciliatory is always
best, along with a clear understanding of the law. (Not that the law is all
that clear in a lot of circumstances. What does work, sometimes, is _acting_ as
though you know the law and it's perfectly clear. I have used that one, and it
has worked. Not with a cop, though.)

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com