Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:26:58 +0200
Hi guys,

Alrighty; some good news: today I received a small parcel from the UK:
Piers Hemy sent me two bolts and nuts in the appropriate 1/4"-20 BSW
size!
And...

Later today I got extremely lucky. When waiting in the car for
Gioconda to finish some business in a store, I decided to take a look
in a nearby antiquities store looking for "Van Houten" items (for a US
friend of mine with that last name), and just the odd unexpected item.
Well, I got lucky in the latter: I spotted a glass jar full of taps.
The light indoors was low, so I walked towards the daylight with it,
to read the sizes (indoors I could make out that the one on top was in
a British size). The store owner spotted me wading clumsily through
the petrol ridden jar, and said I could just have the complete jar for
7.50 Euros. THAT was a direct sale!!! :P

I just went through them, and there are 31 (!) taps in total, in
varying sizes and standards, there are a few metric ones (I spotted at
least M5, M6, M7 and M8) and the rest seems to be the British sizes
both BSP as well as BSW! Several ones are repeated, but heck, who
cares! At 7.50 Euros this was a real STEAL deal; that was VERY cheap
for these taps!
And... in amongst the last 5 I took out of the jar, were two that seem
to be the correct ones, as they are marked: '1/4" W 20'; I take this
to be: 1/4" BSW, 20 TPI. On Monday (or perhaps sooner) I'm going to
give them a try.

It looks like I've got all the tools again for continuing this effort.
The only thing I'll have to find a work-around for is the absence of
thread on a large part of the two bolts. For now, I may screw them in
partially (letting part of them stick out the bottom). Next Sunday I
should meet up with a Scottish mate of mine, and I've just sent him an
e-mail to see if he can bring a few further bolts and nuts.

I hope to have the set-up ready very soon now; and if not, I'll at
least have found a good contender for the "world's cheapest jar of
taps" contest today. :P

Cheers,
Olafo