Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:34:20 -0400
Hummmm. This sounds suspiciously like something AG said once about inspection
of finished prints being done at half the normal viewing distance. <g>

You're absolutely right. A friend who owns a gallery where he sells his own
photography says if he sees someone viewing at nose range, he knows it's a
photographer looking at photographer stuff. People who just appreciate the
picture seldom even think about looking at an image any closer than the
distance it takes to see the whole thing comfortably.

I've had customers pick up prints and look closely at them, but mostly they're
interested in the color. Sometimes they say something about sharpness. When
they ask me what my secret is, I tell them I make sure the camera is focused
correctly. I do this nicely so they don't think I'm making fun of them. When
they ask if the color is natural or Photoshop, I tell them everything is
Photoshopped, 'cause that's how I process my images. Then, if I think I can get
away with it, I give them an eye-glazing lecture on how no camera and no film
ever captured a scene the way it "really" was, and beyond that, no two sets of
eyes ever saw the same scene the same way. It's one of Bob's Incontrovertible
Laws of the Universe: There is no such thing as Absolute Color Value. Or, as my
old buddy Al used to say, "It's all relative, Bob. It's all relative."

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com