Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 41: Moros y Cristianos and much else too

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 41: Moros y Cristianos and much else too
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:19:09 -0700
On 10/26/2010 9:55 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> It seems like a very sensible idea.  And why should the chef try to cook
> several different dishes when he probably doesn't have the time.  Demanding a
> variety of dishes has led to catering packs, in this part of the world, at
> least.

In the US, at least, the problem is that many potential customers will either
leave without ordering or not come back. A
breakfast  or brunch place without Eggs Benedict is limiting itself. It's sort
of like a burger place without burgers;
only a minority of customers will make do with chicken sandwiches and such.

If the menu is too big and complicated, there are many other things to remove
before EB.

I've even moved places down on my preference list because the EBs aren't very
good. You may make the best pancakes,
waffles, crepes, bacon and eggs, etc. in the world. If you don't have good
fancy egg dishes, regular EBs, variant
Benedicts, scrambles, omelets, etc. and good potatoes, I ain't comin' back.

There's a popular place in Bar Harbor that's too stingy with the hollandaise,
but makes a terrific omelet. With good
home fried potatoes, it still works for me. Next time, I'll see if I can get
extra hollandaise on my Benedict, st least
on the second visit. :-)

Moose