Re: [OM] [OT] iPad recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] iPad recommendations
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:20:02 +0200
Update 10 days later...

Yes, I have an iPad.  I like it - especially instant-on, light weight, great
screen and long battery life.

Not being a heavy video user I went for just 16GB, and decided for wifi
only.  I.e. - the bottom of the range.  It was a good choice (so far).  The
wifi is dual-band N with good reach and speed.

I got a free app for my 3G Nokia phone to act as a wifi hotspot and that
works fine so wifi-only is not an issue.  True, this non-3G iPad doesn't
have GPS but I have a Tom-Tom and also I have GPS in my phone so it would
only be a toy - it still has the maps.

And with a half-dozen eBooks (iBooks and Amazon/Kindle) and jpegs of about
2000 of my photos (presumably optimally resized by iTunes) I'm still only
10-15% full memory-wise.

The only downside so far is the lack of flash rendering in the browser - but
a lot of websites are starting to work around that because they know they
lose all the Apple-based customers.  (It means I can't use Ookla's speedtest
to check my download speed :-(

Definitely a winner - thanks for all your advice,
jez