[OM] Whatever happened to Topcon

Subject: [OM] Whatever happened to Topcon
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:32:10 -0400
I was reading an article in the NY Times this morning
<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/science/10google.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2>
about Google's development and testing of driverless vehicles.  In an
accompanying photo they show the computer and other control electronics
and one of the boxes is prominently labeled Topcon.

I remembered seeing the photo of a modern Alpa posted here yesterday so
was curious to see whether this Topcon was the same Topcon that used to
produce 35mm cameras in the 60s and 70s.  Indeed it is.  Camera
production is long gone but they are still an optical instruments
company.  But it appears that the major part of their business these
days has to do with GPS positioning equipment... presumably why the
Topcon box is in the trunk of Google's Prius.
<http://global.topcon.com/about/index.html>

Chuck Norcutt