Re: [OM] ICC profiles, Color Casts and Head Pounding Moment

Subject: Re: [OM] ICC profiles, Color Casts and Head Pounding Moment
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:51:19 -0500
Moose,

I have an issue with converting raw files from the DMC-L1 in most
converters. There is either the stupid maize pattern or the 300 pixel dot
syndrome to fight. But I will do exactly what you are suggesting, except for
the following twists:

1. I will photograph it in RAW, but convert it using a standardized
low-contrast, low-saturation, high-sharpness setting. Something perfectly
repeatable and maximizes detail and DR extraction from the raw file. Oh, the
raw converter in this case is Silkypix. File will be saved as a 16-bit tiff.

2. As the primary concern of lighting is almost always going to be flash lit
pictures, I'll photograph my IT8 target using the same flash gear as I use
for the portraits.

3. The created profile will then be applied to the tiff files in VueScan.
These files can then be batch converted.

4. Files are edited in PWP and saved for printing sRGB JPEGs.

Does this sound about right? I might be able to do most of the profiling yet
tonight.

BTW, I think PWP does allow me to apply ICC profiles to images right in the
editor too. I'll investigate--that would take one more program out of the
mix.

Moose, I like the way you think on this one. That just might save the day.
Otherwise, It's E-1 forever....

AG