Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:39:09 -0500

> Well, that's one way of looking at it. There are other points of view as
> well, some of them even looking kindly on Uncle Sam's benevolence. There's a
> lot of heritage back in them woods that looks real quaint in art books and
> on the shelves of fancy New York galleries, but when you grow up in it, live
> and breath it, well, sometimes you just can't wait to get the hell out and
> try on someone else's heritage for a change.

But it was still home. I wasn't going to go about drawing additional
conclusions about that perspective. However, I learned years ago that you
can take somebody out of poverty, but you can't take poverty out of a
person. There is the physical situation and then there is the mental
situation. That's why "redistribution of wealth" doesn't work.

I grew up in a nice suburban-type of community. My parents weren't rich--way
too many kids for that, but they sought to do better than the near-poverty
they grew up in. That required moving to another county as well as taking a
job in a larger city. While they grew up only 20-something miles from where
I grew up, the economic situation as well as the personality of the people
is totally different. One thing my parents tried to instill in me was the
value in visiting the gravesites of my great and grandparents.
Unfortunately, their efforts didn't rub off very well. Since 1991 I've been
to those cemetaries just once and that was when my mother died.

So, what I'm saying is, that like you, I too made a decision to get out of
Dodge and seek a better/different life elsewhere. Has that been a correct
decision? Who's to say. We make our choices we life our lives. Had I stayed,
my life would have been different. But, just as you moved to Maine, others
moved OUT of Maine for exactly the same reasons you moved out of North
Carolina. I moved out of Michigan and eventually to Iowa for exactly the
same reasons people have moved out of Iowa and also moved into Michigan.

AG