Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:57:38 -0400
  Indeed you are right Ken. At Jim's suggestion I started digging again last
night about the north shore communities of Fontana Lake. At the time of the
formation of GSMNP and Fontana Lake there were many small deep woods
communities (none big enough to call a town). The Feds bought their land and
evacuated residents but when the river was dammed it inundated the only
access road. The Feds originally agreed to build a replacement road so that
former residents could visit cemeteries (there are many) but after building
the first seven miles from Bryson City abandoned the project. Instead they
provide three ferry trips a week along the lake. Even from the lake shore
some still must hike two miles to the gravesites; quite a hike since most
are now in their 80's. The NPS has decided to not complete the road but will
instead pay off the County. It will be interesting to see if any trickles
down to their descendants.

        More here:  http://www.greatsmokies.com/roadnowhere.html

  I also came across a few hiking blog sites describing the North Lakeshore
Trail that runs 40 miles between Bryson City and Fontana Village. Lots of
graveyards, dilapidated buildings and chimneys along the route.

Charlie