Re: [OM] Card(s) download Q --Paging Dr. C.F. Card

Subject: Re: [OM] Card(s) download Q --Paging Dr. C.F. Card
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:58:40 -0400
You are correct for ZoomBrowser.  I ran EOS Utility assuming that was
the correct app.  It behaves as I said.  But EOS Utility is the tethered
shooting utility which is why it requires attachment to the PC.  It
does, of course, download the image to the PC but that's a related and
not its principal reason for existence.

Anyhow, your statement that the downloader did know the files had
already been downloaded caused me to think a bit harder.  I haven't had
to think about internal FAT file structures since about 1987 but I just
realized how the downloader must work in order to recognize that the
file has already been downloaded.  I had completely forgotten about the
"archive bit" in the FAT file system.  Each file has one byte available
for file attributes and one of the bits is called the archive bit.  I
looked up this tidbit to refresh my memory.

Archive: This is a special bit that is used as a "communications link"
between software applications that modify files, and those that are used
for backup. Most backup software allows the user to do an incremental
backup, which only selects for backup any files that have changed since
the last backup. This bit is used for this purpose. When the backup
software backs up ("archives") the file, it clears the archive bit
(makes it zero). Any software that modifies the file subsequently, is
supposed to set the archive bit. Then, the next time that the backup
software is run, it knows by looking at the archive bits which files
have been modified, and therefore which need to be backed up. Again,
this use of the bit is "voluntary"; the backup software relies on other
software to use the archive bit properly; some programs could modify the
file without setting the archive attribute, but fortunately most
software is "well-behaved" and uses the bit properly.

Presumably the Canon downloader is acting as a backup app and clears the
archive bit when it downloads a file.  Before downloading again it notes
that the archive bit has been cleared.  But I don't believe that
DownLoader Pro behaves the same way.  For a generic app to be used
across camera platforms I don't know if one can assume that the archive
bit has been set by the camera when the file is first created.  But it
probably can be as it's something that should be done by the file
system's "close" API if the file had been open for writing.

Dr. (poor) Memory