Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: "|-o-|" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:38:05 +1000 (EST)
Hi Bob,

> When I tried a year or so ago to use a couple of the online test sites to see
> how
vulnerable my Mac Pro was, they couldn't even find it.  I am Mac, therefore, I
am not.

I wouldn't use that as a good example, NAT does that, and onlines test sites
miss some of the big holes that root kits use :-(

OSX is more secure that a Windows based machine, and there are
known attack vectors and even some malware that target OSX but
due to OSX's security profile, and Apples updates so far they have
been at most a minor annoyance and quickly faded, unable to
gain a foothold.

OSX is also still vulnerable to some application level attack vectors
such as Abode's Flash and PDF security holes but as the payload
is normally to target a file layout on a Windows based PC, anything
that has managed to get through has so far failed. This is more to do
with security through obscurity than anything else. So this basically
tells you the biggest threat to security on OSX  currently are the
applications that you use.

Why do you think Apple didnt really want to allow Flash on some of
its hardware ?  [apart from the standards issues which Apple should
not really bring up].

Cheers
Ian Manners
Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself.