Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:15:34 -0400
Just because I'm curious I did a test with two T32s firing
simultaneously into opposite sides of my office and aimed approximately
at the intersections of ceiling and walls.  The room is about 10x13 feet
(approx 3x4 meters) with a white ceiling and light beige walls.  Some
light can escape through a large window on one end but the window is
covered by a sheer, white curtain which probably reflects half of the
light.  No photos taken but after bouncing off the ceiling and walls I'm
sure the light level must have been pretty even throughout the room.

I tried both flashes set at 1/4 power (1/2 guide number) and full power.
  At ISO 100 I got exposures of f/5 for 1/4 power and f/10 for 1/2 power.

Your exact exposures will clearly be different because your room and
diffusers will be different but I was surprised.  As you can tell from
my previous posts I was expecting that two flashes in a small area might
produce so much light that the major difficulty would be in controlling
the power of the flash somehow.  Now I don't think that will be a
problem at all.  If fact, you are likely to need to use the flashes at
full power.  But controlling the exposure should be a simple matter of
using the aperture and or perhaps twisting the ISO dial a bit but
probably not over 200.

This is good news and means you're very unlikely to have to resort to
filters or ingenious tricks.  Good luck

Chuck Norcutt