Re: [OM] (OM), yes, real OM for a change

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM), yes, real OM for a change
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:56:15 -0400
If the 170mm (17cm) screw in lens is a close-up lens it's very strong at
almost 6 diopters.  When I first read this I read it as 170cm rather
than 170mm or only about 0.6 diopter.  I think a single element lens
would be OK for such a weak magnification.

The Olympus 49 and 55mm close-up lenses are 40cm or 2.5 diopters.  I
don't know if the Olympus lenses are doublets (apo) or not.  They
probably are as I think the Canon and Nikon close-up lenses are also.

Anyhow the 170mm lens is not an Olympus original and is probably much
too strong for a single element.

Chuck Norcutt