Re: [OM] (OM) Some thoughts on photographing nature

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Some thoughts on photographing nature
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:55:34 -0500
Brian,

I'm reminded of my own gallery exploits. It's so much a case of
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. It's also a matter of time, effort and
sometimes just following the well-trodden path of those successful
people before you.

1. On-line sales is really a pit. I've made enough from on-line sales
of various forms to pay for lunch at the deli on the way home from a
photo shoot... OK, that and a few house payments, but you get the
point.

2. Physical Gallery. I had been showing prints at a couple high-end
framing galleries. I ended up booking more weddings as a result than
sales of prints. Talk about frustrating. People will spend many
hundreds on a horrid mass-produced print from some fake name artist
that doesn't even exist than on an original piece of visual art from a
real artist.

3. Books. This one is a strange bird. I think that Art Wolfe described
it very well. A book makes a great calling card.

AG