[OM] (OM) Some thoughts on photographing nature

Subject: [OM] (OM) Some thoughts on photographing nature
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:13:10 +1200
My web-site that I hoped to provide me with sales of my photographic skills,
whatever they may be, has not resulted in any response from the public.

I have not given up on that side of things nor on the possibility of making
sales of photographic prints. I will continue to work on that, but acknowledge
that very few good galleries here will agree to display photographs of any
kind, and this gives problems.  The total population of NZ is a little over 4
million, so one must aim for niche markets.  Overseas buyers are not
interested in images produced and marketed from here. Despite using all
the recommended techniques to make my site available and seen by search
engines, the traffic volume to my site is pathetic.

I am looking seriously at publishing books about other topics that interest
me; various aspects of NZ botany, and also trees, in order to show-case my
photography, and to give me worthwhile interests in my life.  A now-
deceased professor from my old university in Wellington, Prof. J.T.Salmon,
published quite a few books on such topics (botany). He passed away
eleven years ago at he age of 89 years.

I have just received a 2nd hand "as new" two-volume set of one major opus
of his, "The Trees of New Zealand, Exotic Trees" The Conifers, and The
Broadleaves,  He photographed 350 species of broadleaf trees and 120
species of conifer.

Most of the photographs are stunning (and the books look as though they
have never been opened before I did it).

His gear was a Minolta Dynax with Sigma AF Macro, 50mm f/2.8, and a
Tamron AF 28-200 mm. and he used Fujicolor Super HGV film for colour
prints, and sometimes Kodachrome 35 mm transparency film.

I've come to the conclusion, especially with the unreliability of OM digital
autofocus in cameras available to me, that I should mostly use film (and
probably print film) in my OM series cameras for these projects, especially
the OM4Ti and the OM 2000, both of which provide means to counteract the
vibration problems inherent in the use of film Zuiko lenses which we all know
about now. And for some close-ups, manual Zuiko lenses on digital.

I also have in mind the stunning photographs taken with a Pen F camera
and published by my old friend, John Johns, The main book I have in mind
is his work on the Native Orchids of New Zealand.

None of my digital close-ups, or even some digital distance shots, can
match what Prof Salmon achieved with his gear.

I know I have been down this road to some degree previously in this forum,
but anyway, this is where my thoughts are this morning. I know that some of
you will not agree with my conclusions, but I can not ignore the evidence in
front of me, as I consider my options.

Cheers.

Brian Swale.