Re: [OM] Doing the Splits (I concur)

Subject: Re: [OM] Doing the Splits (I concur)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:37:44 +0200
On 20 Aug 2010, at 4:13 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> This discussion has definitely drifted a bit. Let me summarize my
> perspective here.
>
> 1. With the OM-3Ti and 2-13 screen is it possible to differentiate the
> focus point between 5m and 6m? The answer is absolutely yes.

I am going to concur here with Ken, and up the stakes, by asserting that
I can on the 2-13 focus screen in the OM-3Ti and the 21mm F2 lens do
the same (i.e. differentiate between focusing on a target which is 5m
from a target which is 6m away).

I would never have believed it until I tried this combination, but
there you have it. I do find it the most accurate finder for a
combination
of quickly framing and focusing a wide-angle lens I have ever laid
eyes to.

Damn (and I am eating my own words, but luckily not my hat, from about
a year ago) that the 3Ti finder is leagues ahead of the OM1 - finder
in this regard. A lot probably just has to do with the precise
dioptric correction possible, but it's so much more than that.

It really is as bright and crisp as the naked eye. This is quite an
achievement on a Rangefinder finder, but on an ALR finder with a
focusing
screen? An amazing feat.

The only cost to this is that it's smaller than the OM-1 finder. With
the OM-1
and a 50mm finder, it's so close to life-size that I can easily use it
with both
eyes open, and after a second or so my brain jumbles the lot into one
coherent,
fluid image with a "frame" around it to photograph. Since it's a 0.92x
finder,
I suspect this would be even better (perfect) with the 55mm f/1.2.

Sadly, I can't do this with the 3Ti finder, it's just that tad too
small.

So, the OM-1 still rocks. (I have to keep telling myself this, since
unfortunately
my 3Ti is in the shop for the second time. The first time was after I
bought it,
it came with a faulty mirror mechanism that never fully swung out of
the way
when the shutter opened. Got it perfectly fixed. Half a roll of film
later,
it unfortunately took a dive from a dining room table onto a tile
floor (not my fault!).

Not a scratch (literally) but now the shutter is stuck.

Both times being attended to by my resident genius mechanical camera
repair Maestro,
Roger Vieren. Would have sent it to John, but he's "plan B" since it's
so expensive
and time-consuming to ship it 10,000km every time.)

Dawid
(seeing this as a good time to catch up with that huge backlog of film
to develop)