Re: [OM] What's sharp? [was Images: Stormy Weather]

Subject: Re: [OM] What's sharp? [was Images: Stormy Weather]
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:37:44 -0500
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM, JOHN DUGGAN
<john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Digital has skewed the playing field for me. I started off with an E-1. Very
> well thought out camera...but heavy.
> Next an E-510. Lovely camera, light, good 15-54 lens and body stabilisation.
> Ideal travel camera.  BUT one major drawback.
> As my eyes age I find the Info display down the right hand side of the
> viewfinder a pain. My peripheral vision just does not work like it once did.
> Oh
> for a viewfinder like Olympus used to make!
>
> So I bought a Canon 40D. much nicer viewfinder, robust construction, and gives
> good results. BUT it is bloody heavy when you factor in a few lenses.
>
> So on to the next step in the never ending search for perfection  ;-0
> A Panasonic Lumix G2...with the 14-45 metal mount lens NOT the plastic mount
> 14-42.
> The camera is light, has a twist and turn display, plus electronic viewfinder
> for when the screen "wipes out" and with suitable adaptors will take my range
> of
> Leica/Voigtlander lenses, along with my Olympus manual lenses.
> I cannot see the micro 4/3 factor being a problem. At present saving for the
> Leica adapter. This camera is well thought out and at present comes with
> cashback (and a 3yr gtee!) Loks like being an ideal travel camera.

Thanks for sharing this, John.  The G2 really tempts me, but I keep
dreaming that Olympus is about to crash through the barriers and
expectations with a FF EVIL camera.

Viewfinders don't seem to make much difference to me.  I realize that
the E3 viewfinder is much better than the 410's, but I just tend to
use the VF for framing/composing.  In this respect, I don't always
miss not having the info display at the right constantly in the area
of my attention, though I do use it quite a bit.  For example, I often
range around a scene until a shutter speed that I want comes on the
display and then lock it down with the shutter button before
recomposing and shooting.  Why do this?  First, I usually use the AEL
button to focus because it locks focus where I want it.  This then
leaves the shutter button solely in charge of exposure.  If after
shooting I don't like the amount of blinking highlights on replay, I
range around a bit for a slightly faster shutter speed.  But ... lots
of ways to skin that cat...

A good EVF has so many possibilities.  I love the EVF on the C8080 and
even the FZ20 I own, and they are crass compared with what is now
possible.

Joel W.