Re: [OM] PP DOF [was DoF Compared]

Subject: Re: [OM] PP DOF [was DoF Compared]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:54:55 -0700
  On 8/13/2010 5:09 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Sharpening is nice

It's the first instance where I could say the FocusMagic unequivocally did what
other forms of sharpening I've tried
couldn't - and saved a picture.

I'm still not sure I'll buy it. I've only used 4 of the 10 trials so far. I've
tried it on more images than that, but
didn't apply it in cases where it obviously wasn't doing what I wanted.

> but the white balance transformation is magical.

Oh, thanks. But I can't take much credit, really. Normally I, and I suspect
you, would simply adjust the WB from
Daylight to Shade in ACR. As it turns out, that works pretty well. I waited
until it was in PS because of the very mixed
subject lighting, some in direct sun and some in deep shade. I wanted to be
able to use a mask to apply correction only
to the shaded parts.

I think I did use a mask, but I'm not sure it made a very big difference. It
was fun to discover that my beard is quite
a neutral gray. :-)   Using the WB dropper on it in PS nicely corrected the WB.
Later, I tried the WB dropper in ACR.
Clicking it around the beard, I got color temps quite close to the 7500° of the
Shade setting.

Moose