Re: [OM] DoF Compared

Subject: Re: [OM] DoF Compared
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:29:48 -0700
  I've followed this thread with some interest and some bemusement. It seems to
me likely that there are indeed
differences that don't follow the simple, single lens calculations.

My opinions, like AG's are largely empirical, but unlike his, with no formal
tests. I've been shooting a lot lately with
5D and G11 intermixed, and sometimes of the same subject. My impressions are
that the small sensor has more, practical,
available DOF, at least on close-ups.

It's really complicated, though. For example, although both cameras have the
same nominal resolution, the small sensor
of the G11 just doesn't have the per pixel sharpness of the FF 5D. So perhaps
the losses from diffraction effects are
partially masked. Still, looking today at a flower shot at f8, two stops into
diffraction territory, the result is
pretty darn good.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sonoma_Glen_Ellen&image=IMG_0847cria75.jpg>

Another aspect, which I seem to recall AG mentioning in passing, is that part
of the effect is loss of contrast. This
just isn't the problem that it was before digital processing.

Moose