[OM] PP DOF [was DoF Compared]

Subject: [OM] PP DOF [was DoF Compared]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:49:27 -0700
  All this talk of DOF got me thinking about how it may be changed in post.

I've posted lots of images with less DOF simulated in post with various kinds
of masked blur. Sharpening can make
apparent DOF deeper.

Here's a classic shot of a receding, repeating subject. Even f8 on the G11
isn't enough for DOF that deep. A case for a
view camera, or Mike's Mirex T/S adapter? Sure.

Then again, what about post? Here, I've applied sharpening using a gradient
mask. Centered about 1/3 of the way up,
where the camera was focused, the mask is black and there is no sharpening.
Then it shades so that the amount of
sharpening increases going up and down.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Sharp/IMG_0855.htm>

The effect changes gradually, as I wanted, but is pretty obvious at top and
bottom.

When we were on vacation, we were chatting with a nice young couple. I took
their pic in front of the falls, and the
young man offered to return the favor. I didn't think to change settings. I
have focus set to a single center point. I'd
automatically focus on the people, reframe and shoot. Instead, his shot focused
on the far background.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Sharp/IMG_0855.htm>

Daylight white balance didn't do us any favors, either. It turns out my beard
isn't a bad neutral reference. :-)

Since Chuck (?) recently mentioned Focus Magic, I've been trying it out on
various images. On some, it isn't much help.
It made at least one worse. Some it helps. This is the best example I've found
so far where it does a lot to correct OOF
blur. That was applied at full size, then masked sharpening on the web size
image.

Sharper Image Moose