Re: [OM] Entering Competitions. Why?

Subject: Re: [OM] Entering Competitions. Why?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:15:58 EDT
Competitions come in many flavors.  There are those which appeal to me  and
those which don't.  The ones that do, which in my case tend to be the
artsy fartsy ones, I enter.  The wedding/portrait ones don't interest me so  I
don't enter them.

The show which opens in a couple of weeks and in which I had an image
selected is here:

_https://asmithgallery.com/Domicile_Accepted_Images.php_
(https://asmithgallery.com/Domicile_Accepted_Images.php)

The theme is domicile.

The two others that I've entered recently were Texas Photographic Societies
 "International Competition" and their "Captvar La Luz: A Latino
Experience."  My entries in each tended toward the artsy fartsy.  That  can
also be
said of the images I will be sending to Santa Fe.

Although showing in a gallery is on my bucket list, it is not real near the
 top, however it is there.  On some level, IMHO, successfully competing
requires many of the same skill sets as getting ones work shown in a  gallery
and those successes do add credibility.  Yes, I do know it is about  the
images and the work and the competitions require the practice one needs  to
take the next step.

I fail to see the down side of entering competitions.

Bill Barber