Re: [OM] OT - American railways

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - American railways
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:09:52 +0800
On 8/1/10, Bill Pearce <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Obviously less potential in the fly-over states, but most people live along
>  the coasts anyway.
>
> But what about those of us that don't live on a coast? ...

China's about the same area as the US, four times the population,
not as rich. They are building a huge network of high-speed rail.
I use it regularly. As someone said earlier in the thread, for
distances up to 1000 km or so it is much better than flying.

Top speed 250 km/hr, over 150 mph, on many lines, 350 km on
some. They have 6000+ km (4000+ miles) already in service,
and that is scheduled to double by 2020.

They are negotiating to build similar systems for Brazil and other
Latin American countries. They are even talking of upgrading
the Trans-Siberian to give high-speed service all the way to
Europe.