Re: [OM] (OM) Once more two generations of aeroplanes ...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Once more two generations of aeroplanes ...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:32:49 +1200
Piers, Marc, Chris, Chuck and Jim discussed,

You could well be right that the 4 jets are Mirages. I'd need to check out my
photo field-book for the day.

Yes they are flying slowly, and the trails are oil or some such marker; note
that only 3 of the 4 show this.  They were formation flying to impress the
crowd after a few fast fly-bys etc

Yes, it was a late-model Spitfire - I'd need to check my notes. I suspect it is
the last model which may not have seen much service.

If it is the one that Sir Tim Wallis flipped, nearly at the cost of his life;
he had
one or more artificial legs at the time, and was unable to put on enough (
rudder / flap ??) to counteract the tremendous torque on take-off; apparently
they need full opposite whatever, and so he drove it into the dirt. He either
did not have the strength, or forgot and was taken by surprise.  He's still
alive, but I gather he has had quite a bit of neurosurgery to restore himself -
let alone the plane.

That was a bit of a grab shot. I HAD managed to get myself a spot with
few/no obstacles in front of me, but if I remember correctly I might not have
had a zoom lens then and if so it would have been the Zuiko 50/1.4

I REALLY must check the details.  The horizon annoys, but when corrected
the shot loses too much; I think I tried that ages ago.

Brian Swale.