Re: [OM] Brutal Truth - Have we gone too far?

Subject: Re: [OM] Brutal Truth - Have we gone too far?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:16:33 -0500
> Well Ken, you could always load up a roll of Tri-X in the OM-3T and
> shoot your portraits on film.  That seemed to work pretty well for
> Jane Bown!  Or maybe try using some of your older manual focus Zuikos
> on the L1 instead of the 14-50.  The OMZ 50/1.8 makes a nice portrait
> lens, though DoF is a problem when it is wide open.

Yes! I actually was planning on using the 3Ti for my last portrait
shoot, but the 90+ degree day (outdoor shoot) kinda meant that we had
to keep things moving. I had a hard enough time working quickly enough
with one camera, much less too.

The OMZ 50 F1.4 lens on the L1 is also an extremely nice combination.
The CA that I experience wide-open with the E-1 seems to diminish
quite a bit with the L1. Must be the way the microlenses interact with
the light-rays.

But, my favorite portrait combination is still the OM (pick your body
of preference) with an older 100/2.8 or newer 85/2 and rolls of Ilford
Delta 400. Delta 400 has the uncanny characteristic of raising
skintones at least 1/2 a stop. The near-IR performance of the film
causes a nice skin smoothing too--especially when combined with an
orange filter on the lens. Simply delicious. I have considered the
thought of shooting exclusively with Delta 400 until it is no longer
available--forgoing all other films and digital.

AG