Re: [OM] Another 3T going cheap........so far

Subject: Re: [OM] Another 3T going cheap........so far
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 12:37:31 -0500
The snipe bids at the last moment will bring the price up in line.  It
does look to me that this particular one has been used enough so it
isn't a mint copy. That will affect the price quite a bit, but it also
means that somebody will be getting a camera that they shouldn't be
afraid of actually taking outdoors.

> For a while there, I really though life couldn't get better than an OM-1
> for my needs (an all-manual camera) but boy was I wrong. And it's
> actually got nothing to do with the multi-spot metering.

1/2000, right?

I know I like mine and will continue to push it to the limits. Just as
with the lenses, it's not that this camera takes pictures any better,
it's that I take better pictures with it.

Anybody thinking that maybe they'd like to get a 3Ti but not sure
about it?  Well, just do it and if after a year you decide that it was
a wasted effort, just sell it.

With auto-exposure, life is a lot simpler and easier. But how a manual
camera affects me directly is I am constantly monitoring the light and
seeing what it is doing. This greater awareness of light is
translating into better pictures because I end up seeing things I
normaly don't see. Let me try to explain:

1. Photographer with auto-everything camera sees subject. Photographer
with auto-everything camera photographs subject.

2. Photographer with manual camera sees subject. Photographer with
manual camera sees light. Photographer with manual camera uses light
as part of the composition which usually requires relocation and/or
exposure modification. Photographer photographs subject with improved
light.

An over-simplified explanation, I'm sure, and worthy of Moose's wrath,
but it isn't necessarily an either/or issue, but usually just a matter
of degrees. By increasing the awareness of light, sometimes it's just
a very very slight change in how the picture is shot that results in
an occasional dramatic difference, but more typically just the
difference between "ho-hum" and "ok, this works."

As a varient of explanation #2, I'm more often than not seeing the
light first, adjusting the exposure along the way and then looking for
the subject to fit the light.

AG