Re: [OM] Whatever it is, it is

Subject: Re: [OM] Whatever it is, it is
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 01:16:15 -0500
Moose, I think what I was saying is this:

1. I personally feel that most of the "Leica Mystique" is a load of bunk.

2. I'm afraid that I'm "seeing" these supposedly non-existent traits
in my own shots taken with a Leica designed and labeled lens.

3. Since we know that the "Leica Mystique" is pretty much bunk, then
it's obvious I must be getting better as a photographer.  :)

Maybe it's a little bit of both. Maybe it's all the lens and I'm just
along for the ride. Whatever it is, I'm pleased.

Just for entertainment, I revisited a lens test I did a few weeks back
and compared images taken with every lens in my kit at overlapping
focal-lengths. It's rather interesting how the color and contrast of
the Leica lens is totally different than all of the Zuikos, but almost
without exception, the Leica shots had a well defined edge between the
subject (a stone statue) and the background. Not only that, but even
within the statue, the visual perception is the face having dimension.
Only three of the Zuikos did that:  50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 35-80, but
only the 35-80 had the tonal subtlety which the Leica had.

AG