Re: [OM] odd CF card (or E3) behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] odd CF card (or E3) behaviour
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:50:11 -0700
On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I'm having trouble here since parts of the story (as I understand it)
> don't seem to add up.  The clarifications you've added on this message
> and the previous one say the problem exists with the images as they are
> stored on the card because the corrupted images move wherever the card
> goes.  Or is it maybe the reader?  Does the reader move with the card?
> If that's true it's the camera, the card or the reader... it can't be
> the computer.  However you have also stated that, after a download,
> images on the same computer displayed by one application are corrupted
> but on another application they are not.  That says one of the apps is
> corrupting an otherwise fine image.  It can't be both ways... or if it
> is you have a truly confused problem scenario.

Sorries, was posting about two diff times this happened. The first time (last
month or so), all the pics on card, in camera, looked ok. Put card in
cardreader, Mac saw partial images (most were less than 1/4th). Same
card/reader on another  mac, and finally a PC, same results, partial images.

2nd time (yesterday), images reviewed on camera fine, but on mac showed as
partials in finder, complete in iphoto. if i exported them out of iphoto (after
importing them), they showed up complete images.

> You haven't used any recovery software on this card have you?  The
> scenario you describe (some JPEG images are truncated) can happen if you
> delete images on the card while you're shooting and the directory is
> later lost due to reformatting or other problems.  With the directory
> gone or damaged the recovery software may not be able to figure out
> where some images start and end because (due to the intermediate file
> deletions) the image storage may not be in contiguous clusters.  Trying
> to read these back may produce only the first part of an image leaving
> some amount of the bottom portion chopped off.  The rest of the image is
>  probably still there but the software can't figure out which intial
> image fragment it belongs to.

The only time I ran recovery app was when I lost the entire dance shoot.
Couldn’t recover any dance images (oddly, could recover photos from prior
shoots). I rarely delete images on camera, and never via Explorer/Finder.
Standard procedure is to first copy or import all the photos to computer, put
card back in E3, and delete all (or more recently, format card, just because).
I wonder if turning off the camera right after a burst of images had anything
to do with it? It was just a power off via rear switch, not a battery-dying
power off.