Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 06:50:25 -0400
I think you just struck on the answer.  In a typical SLR design the
shutter release doesn't actually release the shutter... it releases the
mirror.  When the mirror gets to the top of its travel it releases the
first shutter curtain.  When the second curtain completes its travel it
releases the mirror to drop down into viewing position.

Yes, I suppose I was expecting LV to act like MLU.  In an OM-1 mirror
lock is a very mechanical operation and the mirror stays up all the time
until manually (and mechanically) released.  But in my Canyon 5D mirror
up is still tied to the shutter button when in MLU mode.  Pressing the
shutter release allows the mirror to rise and it takes a second press to
release the shutter.  Then the mirror returns as normal after the
exposure.  It's clear there that there is no longer a direct mechanical
tie between mirror up and first curtain shutter release.  That being the
case the firmware in the Canon might be able to control mirror up but it
seems likely that mirror down is still tied mechanically to the second
shutter curtain.  But the ability to turn live view on (mirror up) and
off (mirror down) in the Olys would imply that firmware control of those
functions is possible even if not implemented.

I'll have to check the Canyon manuals for live view operation on the 5D
Mk II and others.

Chuck Norcutt