Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:04:56 -0700
On 6/27/2010 10:32 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
> For a real eye-opener, look up "The Untold Story of Milk," by Ron Schmid. Bet
> you didn't know that more people get sick (proportionately) from pasteurized
> milk than from raw milk.

No problem here, I haven't drunk milk for decades. Just stopped
appealing to me. I"m far more likely to "listen" to my body's opinion of
what I should put in it than the sea of constantly changing "medical and
nutritional" opinions floating about.

I've been around long enough now to see complete reversals about some
foods. As a child, I ate oleo and drank reconstituted dry, non-fat milk,
as part of my mother's response to standard opinion and efforts to save
money. In the US (just Calif.?) at the time, the dairy lobby had forced
oleo makers not to color the product. It came with little packets of
coloring that you could mix into it so it looked less like something
dead or lard, and more like butter. After mushing it up to color it, I
liked it even less. :-)

As soon as I got out on my own, I switched to butter. I couldn't really
explain it, but it just seemed/felt/tasted better for me. So as the
supposed negative health effects of oleo's constituent parts surfaced, I
somehow wasn't surprised. Now I seem to recall reading somewhere
recently an opinion that butter is healthier overall than any of the
substitutes, even olive oil.

Oh well, that's likely change too, in time.

I have this weird theory that one should eat in moderation what tastes
good and makes one's body feel well.

Calif. is fighting the same battle, with the safety regulators trying to
put the raw milk producers out of business. I have no dog in that fight,
as I don't use either, but it doesn't seem right to me, somehow.

The latest battle shaping up is over rules and procedures for some row
crops production. The bacterial caused recalls of lettuce and ___(?)
have led the FDA to start considering much more stringent rules for
handling and record keeping. As expected, they aren't particularly
onerous for large operators, but would likely kill off many or most of
the small farm operators.

Moose