Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:32:26 -0700
Y'all need to try some of our Nubian cream: pretty near 100% butterfat.

We gently heat the milk to 40C (approximately the body temperature of
a goat), then run it through a Novo cream separator that I've
carefully adjusted for maximum separation.

If we're making ice cream, we do so immediately, because putting that
stuff in the fridge results in a solid mass that you take out of the
jar with a heavy spoon -- the closest thing I've seen to butter that
hasn't been churned.

Unfortunately, we can't legally distribute it in Canada for human
consumption, nor can we cross the border with it. Stupid food Nazis,
"protecting" us from ourselves...

For a real eye-opener, look up "The Untold Story of Milk," by Ron
Schmid. Bet you didn't know that more people get sick
(proportionately) from pasteurized milk than from raw milk.

> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm sure someone does but I don't know where.  In fact, I've never
> even
> seen imported clotted cream in the stores although I'm sure some
> specialty markets must carry it.
>
> John Hudson wrote:
>
>> Surely, someone in the US produces + / - 38%  MF clotted cream.

On-farm and delivery sales of raw milk can create the kind of local
wealth that will reverse the population flow away from small towns and
reinvigorate our communities. -- Ron Schmid