Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:52:43 -0700
On 6/18/2010 1:00 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> ... Before I write it off, I will have to find the patience to explore the
> array of ICC profiles it provides.  For example, there are three separate
> profiles for the E-1.  I don't see a big difference in their effects.

There are also three for the 5D. The two alternates look like someone
just pulled the center point in Levels up for high key for one and down
for low key for the other. No value to them I can see.

> I don't see a big difference switching to the 5D profile for that matter.

In PopPhoto's camera tests, they rate color accuracy. All the DSLRs rate
very high. In the larger sense, I believe that's true. Sure, we see,
especially those who shoot people, differences, but they are much
smaller than the differences between films.

> More significant is the "film" curve.  But it's just a pre-cooked curve.
> People should learn to adjust their own curves. I have the feeling that the
> disciplined approach is to switch this to "linear."

I feel the same way. Using Curves is a basic digital darkroom skill.
Linear just makes my sample image flatter. Film High Contrast isn't bad,
except for slight blown highlights, which could be corrected with other
controls.

Film High Contrast curve together with -2/3EVf 5D camera profile at
least makes an interesting image. I haven't tried any of the image
controls, as I can do all that anywhere. I've just been looking to see
what it has to offer in functions unique to it.

Somewhere around here, I've got a shot of an IT8 target. Maybe I'll make
an ICC profile (or did I already do that?) and try that in C1.

> There is a tool that paints your blown highlights in red.  Useful, but for
> the cost of admission?

I created a PS Action to do that. And one that paints blown shadows
blue. Haven't used them in ages, though.

> ...  In my experience, it IS superior to LR (and other forms of ACR) for
> critical color work starting from RAW.

Just the reverse of my 5D experience.

See One Moose