Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:16:27 -0500
Different strokes, different folks...

I personally do batch processing more often than not. The advantage to
Lightroom and Capture One is the ability to apply a batch setting to
multiple images and then tweak individual shots from there. You get to
A-B compare images and adjust as necessary the individuals to correct
for some oddity that snuck in. Once you get things "close enough" just
tell it to develop the whole mess. If I take 20 pictures of something
and want every single image to match, a tool like Lightroom or Capture
One is invaluable.

With Studio/Viewer, things aren't quite so simple. For some crazy
reason, it doesn't let you easily adjust, compare, adjust, compare,
batch apply, compare, tweek, then develop. You CAN do it, but it
requires more button presses than Lightroom/Capture One/SilkyPix does.

BTW, There is one great function of Studio, though, and I extensively
tested it this weekend.

I hooked the E-1 up to the laptop running Studio and changed the
configuration of the laptop so a shut lid doesn't turn the computer
off. Then I turned on VNC Server and with VNC running on the iPad, I
was able to remote control the E-1 from anywhere my WiFi connection
reached.

So, my "go kit" for photographing birds at the Audubon Society
facility outside Grinnell is the laptop, a WiFi router, the iPad,
camera, lens, Firewire cable and tripod. Oh, and for me, since my
laptop battery is shot, a deep-cycle marine battery with inverter. Oh,
and a shower cap for the camera since birds tend to alight and poop on
them. I'd rather not put my face up against bird droppings.

The only rub is that when you press the on-screen button on the
laptop, for some reason there is a delay of about 1 second before the
shot is fired. This is a Studio/E-1 issue, and not a VNC concern.
After the picture is taken it appears on the screen which is reflected
on the iPad. I don't recall the delay being that bad before--I may
have a driver or configuration issue.

The delay for pressing buttons via VNC is very minimal--not really an
issue at all. It takes up to two seconds for a full screen refresh to
transmit to the iPad, but this is a WiFi speed issue more than
anything. But in the case of the Audubon Society facility, I can go
back and sit in the car if I want and remote control the camera.

For those of you with fancy Canon gear with the remote control screen
and live-view, the same options with VNC exist.

AG